Thursday, August 03, 2006

Day 6 – Friday 10:00 PM

Moments of joy and moments of desperation – an endless cycle. I got to witness in all it’s glory the slaughtering of a pig – from the binding, to the suffocating, to the skinning to the dismembering to the gutting – the whole grand process. While I thought I would cringe in disgust, it actually turned out to be a really beautiful family event with everyone crowded around a bulb generating light through a wire hooked up to a car battery, blood being washed off the pavement, the smell of freshly severed limbs boiling on the fire, puppies rolling around bickering, mom’s sharpening the knives, dad, son and cousin are skinning and slicing, daughter is fetching water, onlookers enjoy the view, hyperactive child wielding a machete just wants to help, Chuukese flying every which way – and there’s me – as life is very real around me, what makes the experience surreal is that I just don’t exist – I’m watching, listening, thinking and reflecting…they don’t need me there – I don’t know the first thing about pig slaughter – I am of no use – of no help yet they let me in….they let me in anyway.

I don’t know how He does it….but He always finds a way to leave me breathless and this time in a shared affinity for John Michael Montgomery…

“Life’s a dance you learn as you go,
Sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow,
Don’t worry about what you don’t know,
Life’s a dance you learn as you go….”

No comments: