Thursday, August 03, 2006

Day 4 – Wednesday

Minute by minute, the time passes and though I can almost hear through the frivolity and boredom each second ticking by – my absorption of Chuukese is exponential – though what I consider exponential is still nothing I deserve a medal for…..still inadequate, still shy of perfection (ha ha perfection) still blind, still deaf, still dumb. But the desire has not waned. (This is beginning to sound like a page out of Dances With Wolves – now there is a character I can relate to!!)
Even in spite of the moments where the brain shuts off and nothing enters or leaves, the desire has not diminished. I love just hearing Chuukese – just being around it is wonderful – of course often times it feels more like eavesdropping…and I try quickly avoid their glance when they catch me! I am beginning to understand words – they are no longer just a string of sounds in rapid succession – but words – most of whose meaning I can understand. Now garnering meaning from various combinations of these words…that is my next task.

That – while still maintaining sanity – the sedentary lifestyle in all honesty is driving me crazy. I’m trying to enjoy what it feels like to do nothing – to have nothing to do but all I want to do is run around, run around the island, play basketball, but Nanar is “chipwang” and I’m not yet confident enough or brave enough to take on the island alone – nor is it the safest idea.

No comments: