Wednesday, July 20, 2005

July 19, 2005 I MADE IT TO SCRANTON

After one of the hardest weeks of my life, I MADE IT TO SCRANTON! Though I do not know what lies ahead, I am still confident that the goodbyes were/will be collectively one of the hardest parts of this decision. "How blessed am I to have a love so great that makes saying goodbye so hard?" The fact that it has been so hard to leave just means that I have been given some of the most amazingly beautiful relationships that I cherish dearly and do not want to loose.

Though the majority of July 17th was painfully difficult, as soon as I stepped foot into the chapel with all of the other volunteers, I felt such a calming presence. These people simply have a spirit about them that gives me strength and composure to keep breathing one breath at a time. I also got to meet A.J. and Chris, with whom I will be living in Chuuk - and they are simply phenomenal. They enjoy dancing - nearly as much as I do!! NEED I SAY MORE!!!?? A.J. is from Holy Cross, and Chris is from Wisconsin and actually went to school at Marquette High with Jdemps!!! small world!

The days here all seem to be PACKED with info sessions - the JVI covenant, culture shock, mission, purpose etc... - a lot to manage, but we've got some nice down time interspersed which gives us some time to hang out, play basketball, apples to apples, the ride the pony game (ha ha if you know what i'm talking about - SUCH a great game!!) & process it all. We're staying in Gavigan Hall (Lynette's old stomping ground) which i might add is quite a confusing building - but they have been in the process of replacing all of the toilets - JUST FOR US (or so we'd like to think) which makes for an interesting scene when navigating the hall amidst a collection of free standing johns!!

So I know it's only been not even three days, but things are going well so far!! Hopefully next time i'll be back with a more coherent & informative posting!!! :-) Love and Prayers!

2 comments:

Jtrunce said...

ha ha ANTTERRR you kill me and I love it!!! Ruined for life is how the JVI refers to the entirety of this experience. What we will go through and experience over the next two years will be foundation shaking, as it is for all JV's. Having lived the lifestyle that I will live, and knowing all that I will learn, it is impossible to stay the same. It is a change that ruins you in the sense that it alters the way you look at the world, the way you interact, the way you view your life, your relationships, your purpose, your faith - everything is uprooted in the most challenging yet beautiful way.

Jtrunce said...

NOLAN girl - how ar eyou - i misss youu - i'm sorry i iddn' get to see you before I left -but know that you're in my heart wherever I am!!! I LOVE YOUUU!!!!